Thursday, March 25, 2010

How I Start What I Started Doing...

I've a funny feeling (of dejavu) this couple of days but can't quite pinpoint it but then out of the blue I remember it and it's all coming back to me now.... :)

Yeah...about a year ago when I arrived at the gym, put my board in place on the floor and looking forward for a good aerobic session, someone approached me and ask me if I wanted to run a marathon. I was stunned and was taken aback as I have never in my life run a marathon before and why on earth would she ask me to join? Candidly, I ask what marathon and she told me Standard Chartered KL Marathon. I continued to ask what category, is it competitive or non competitive and she told me some details and added she'll be joining the 10km run. I said ok, you run the 10km and I'll join the fun run 5km. (She was not looking too pleased...and in my mind I was thinking wow... she is really ambitious). Class started and we ended the conversation as that.

Another day, another class, this topic came up again and again. After much talk about it and much gentle persuasion and convincing from her I gave her my polite answer that I will think about it and will let her know later. Initially we even thought the qualifying time was 1.5hrs (1 hr 50mins no sweat lah, got time to spare, can even walk) but in actual fact it was 1hr 30mins. My face suddenly turned pale and immediately asked her can finished on time ah?? Die lah...90 minutes and I started calculating if 1 km I run 9 min then to qualify for a finisher medal or a certificate, I must consistently run 10km@9min/per km hahah....That was how 'new' I was to run a marathon at that time. As the story goes...I did sign up and started training very hard and even quit gym to fully concentrate on running that 1st 10km hahah...

The truth is I'm only a recreational jogger, only jog when I feel like it as part of  exercise apart from going to the gym. Jogging 1km (the most) and walking 4km was a great feat for me at that time. 

SCKLM 2009 came & went. Relieved and thought that was the end of it but no no... it was only the beginning of everything. Next was Centro 6km (Oct '09), New Balance Klang Pacer 12km (Nov '09), Journey of Life 5km (Nov'09), Putrajaya Night Marathon 21km (Feb '10) and on and on......

That was how I start what I started doing now.... running in a marathon, thanks to her - June Malik!!!

                                                SCKLM 2009
                                                My 1st 10 km.


4 comments:

June Malik said...

you know why u get dejavu? cos i asked you same question for same venue run again hahah .. we should totally go back and celebrate our 1st anniversary :) you have become quite a runner too, i still kalah to you by 3-4 minutes each time hahaah ..

so, serena nak masuk marathon?

serena said...

heheh...I knew you would ask me the same question here. Alright, I'll take the challenge...just sign me up!

As for the 3-4 mins, it is nothing lah, you can beat me...June boleh!

June Malik said...

sign you up for which one? the full ??? you know i am seriously considering .. apa macam??

serena said...

hahah...cute..you know which one! the half lah cutey!