Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Setia Eco Run

... the sky was grey and gloomy and there were flashes of lightning. And then to my dismay, it started to rain... oh no...

5th June, 2010

Alarm went off at 4.30 am. A cup of coffee and 3 slices of bread for breakfast. Had a quick shower. Set out from home at 5.15 am. At 5.45 am, Herman decided to park at the Tesco basement parking and take the shuttle van to the venue. A 5 minutes transfer. Reached Setia Alam Welcome Centre at 5.50 am. Many runners were already there and I thought we were too early. The atmosphere was good and lively with music. Good mc-ing. I didn't feel bored one bit. A very good turnout of young and old. Handed  over the reporting slip and made a quick dash to the washroom.

Warming up started after 6.00 am.

At 6.30 am flag off for the 1/2 marathoners. I ate 1/2 piece of power bar.

We (the 10km runners) were flag off at 7.00 am sharp. I like the punctuality (very good!!!). Herman and I made a deal that we'll run our own race slowly but surely till the end. We both started at a slow pace together but soon he took off and left me behind but was still within a 300 metres distance at sight. The route was nice with minimal traffic. I stopped at both water station, 1 at 2km and another at 5km. Herman stopped and waited for me to catch up a few times. Have a short chat and off he goes again. At this juncture, I was liking every minute of it until ... (please see top) ... Some may like it, some may not, some don't mind, some couldn't care less. I don't like running in the rain and I can't see clearly with my glasses. It's like driving a car in the rain without a wiper. On the good side, it cools down the body  heat and I was soaking wet from head to toe and I bet nobody will even know if I take a piss in the rain and I swear I didn't !!!. No need to at that time...heheh.

Rain or not, I continued my running and very cautiously step by step not to slip and fall.

At the last 1 km stretch, I was running up the bridge and I saw Herman opposite running down the Setia Alam - Eco park overhead bridge and we waved at each other. Seeing that I was okay, he made a dash to the finishing line. I finished at 74 minutes (my best 10km was PNM at 71 minutes - could be someone's PW).

By now the rain has stopped. There were plenty of food for everyone to eat at the end. We waited for the 1st round of lucky draw to finish and then took the shuttle van back to Tesco. It was a very well organized event and definitely will look forward to coming here again next year. 

In the car, we congratulated each other and  happy to have another medal to our collection. It was fun, fun, fun.



Herman - making a final dash towards the finishing line.
 
 
Me - Wet, Wet, Wet

Cheers !!! Looking forward to our next adventure...


2 comments:

June Malik said...

running couple :) very nice lah u two and congrarts on your good timing, dont think i can achieve better than my pnm LOL .. hope you and hubs will run a lot more together .. see u soon !

serena said...

thanks for the encouragement. i forgot to mention i finished 109th in position...hope to run centro (11/7/10) with you. only 200 medals up for grabs...this time round hope to get medal..we can do it! see you there and then!